Dr. Sabine Bozon

Dr. Sabine Bozon

                  Clinique Veterinaire Bozon in Versailles, France

                 Clinique Veterinaire Bozon in Versailles, France

Clinique Veterinaire Bozon

Mitral Valve Repair surgery is performed at the Clinique Veterinaire Bozon located at:

49 Rue des Chantiers
78000 Versailles, France
Phone:  +33 1 39 53 17 17 (Open 24x7)

France Point of Contact

One of the founding members of the Mighty Hearts Project is a bilingual (French/English) American living in Paris.  She is very pleased to help you navigate making arrangements for your stay, to welcome you upon your arrival in France, and to provide the extra comfort of having someone who speaks the language if you do not.  If you are scheduled for surgery please email us and we will put you in contact with her.

USDA Procedures for France

If you have a European Union (EU) Pet Passport —  You do not need to meet the below requirements because of your EU Pet Passport.  View more information about EU Pet Passports.  

If you do NOT have a EU Pet Passport — Follow the requirements listed in steps 1-5 below.

  1. Identification with microchip.
    • Your pet should be implanted with an ISO compliant (11784 and 11785) microchip. ISO compliant microchips are 15 digits long.
    • If your pet does not have an ISO compliant microchip, you will need to:
      • Travel with a microchip reader that can read your pet’s microchip OR
      • If a non-ISO compatible microchip was previously implanted and can still be read, then the USDA Accredited Veterinarian can implant an ISO-compatible microchip in addition to the non-ISO one your pet currently has. The number and implant dates of both microchips must be documented on the EU Health Certificate.
  2. Rabies vaccination.  
    • Must occur AFTER microchip implantation. The rabies vaccination may be administered the same day as the microchip implantation but any rabies vaccination before a microchip is implanted is invalid.
      • If your pet had a non-ISO compatible chip implanted at the same time as or before your pet’s most recent vaccination, your pet will not have to be re-vaccinated even if it had to be re-microchipped with an ISO compliant chip to travel to the EU.
      • The number and implantation dates of both microchips must be documented on the EU Health Certificate and at least one of these microchips must have been implanted before your pet’s most recent rabies vaccine.
    • Vaccinations valid for 1, 2, or 3 years are acceptable as long as the vaccination is current and has been administered according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
      • Vaccination must not expire before entering the European Union.
  3. 21-day waiting period.
    • After the rabies vaccination, the pet must wait 21 days before it is eligible to enter the EU.
  4. Have an accredited veterinarian issue (complete and sign) the EU Health Certificate.  
    • Blank USDA Form (EU Health Certificate) here.
    • Certificate must be issued within 10 days of entering the EU
  5. Have APHIS endorse (sign and seal) the EU Health Certificate.
    • This can be done in person with an appointment at the closest USDA office (recommended), or shipped overnight to be signed and then shipped overnight back to you.
    • You must bring your dog's rabies vaccine certificates for all rabies vaccinations documented on the health certificate.  These vaccination certificates will be required by the USDA at the time of health certificate endorsement.
    • Please note: The EU health certificate is valid for travel within the EU for up to 4 months from the date it is issued by the USDA Accredited Veterinarian as long as the rabies vaccine documented on the form has not expired. 

Completed EU Health Certificate (Sample) here.

Note:  The above steps are the current USDA requirements for traveling to France. These requirements can change without notice so visit the USDA website to verify all steps before proceeding.

Helpful Tips:

>> Before completing the health certificate, contact your local USDA office to confirm that your veterinarian is listed as active and accredited in their system, and confirm the amount of time it takes your local office to process a health certificate submission.

>> The USDA forms are invalid if they are completed more than 10 days prior to arriving in France. Remember to build in time for delayed or cancelled flights and/or delayed return shipment of your endorsed health certificate.

>> Fill out as much of the USDA form as possible prior to your veterinarian visit. The health certificate must be completed, reviewed, and signed by a USDA accredited veterinarian.

>> Prepare two copies of the health certificate and ask your veterinarian to complete them both so you have a back-up copy in case your forms are delayed or lost in shipment.

>> Your USDA office will not accept copies of the forms, only originals.

>> Many USDA offices will offer to check your forms via fax or email for accuracy and completion prior to you submitting the forms. Call your local office to arrange support.

>> Where possible, it is highly recommended that you drive your health certificate and supporting documentation to your local USDA office and have them certified in person. The overnight shipment method is not always effective and can cause a lot of stress leading up to travel.

>> If you choose to ship your documents to your local USDA office, make sure you retain one set of originals for your records, and send the second set of originals along with the application fee and pre-paid overnight return labele via an overnight express carrier with tracking capability.

>> If you plan to go to your local USDA office in person, please check with the office to see if walk-ins are accepted or if an appointment is needed. Plan well in advance if an appointment is needed, there could be limited availability.

>> USDA no longer waives the application fee if you have an ESA letter. The current fee is $38.

 Rue des Chantiers, Versailles, France

Rue des Chantiers, Versailles, France

Transportation in France

  • Taxis are readily available at Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) in Paris; however, it is important to find one that is pet friendly.  Understanding this challenge, we have established a relationship with a few drivers in France.  If you are interested in arranging your transportation prior to arrival, please email us for their contact information.  If you do not want to pre-arrange transportation prior to arrival, you will need to ask the driver if they speak English and if a small dog would be allowed.

The use of app-based transportation (e.g. Uber, Chauffer Privé, etc.) from the airport is not advised due to taxi union regulations.  

  • Most taxis in France do not accept credit card payments, and if you arrive in Paris early in the morning, you may not be able to access Euros easily.  Bring some with you.  Round trip from CDG to Versailles can generally run around 70-100 Euros each way.

  • Uber and Chauffeur Privé (French version of Uber) will work in Paris and Versailles just as it does in the United States (US).  They can be downloaded and set-up with a credit card prior to leaving the US, and require in country data access for your smart phone to use.  As soon as you connect with a driver, you should attempt to ask if they speak English and where appropriate, if a small dog would be allowed.  

  • Train service is available from CDG to Versailles; however, it's not recommended due to various logistical challenges and potential stress it can cause your dog.  If you do decide to use the train service, there are three main train stations in Versailles:  Versailles RIVE GAUCHE, Versailles RIVE DROIT, and Versailles CHANTIERS which is the closest to the clinic with direct express to Paris Montparnase train station in 12 minutes.

  • The Clinique Veterinaire Bozon can also assist in arranging a taxi when on-site.  Staff has a working relationship with companies that are pet-friendly.

Credit Cards & ATMs

Most credit cards will work overseas, and some even waive foreign transaction fees which can run up to 1% or more of the total purchase price.  Most retail establishments and restaurants in France accept credit cards.  The most widely accepted are MasterCard and Visa.  ATM machines will work with your normal US bank distributed debit card and PIN number.  The withdrawal will be in Euros, and the money drawn from your US bank account will be at the current exchange rate offered by your bank at the time of withdrawal plus any additional ATM fees that your bank charges.  Please check with your bank prior to leaving the US to understand what fees will be applied, and to notify them when and where you will be traveling.

Electronics & Communication

Eifel Tower

A European power converter is necessary to power and charge all electronics.  Many of the newer power converters have integrated surge protectors and USB ports to function with modern electronics.  It is recommended that you bring a power converter and/or battery backup device for any smartphone or communication equipment with you everywhere you go in country in case you need to recharge mid-day.

Contact your carrier about global cellular access and rates.  It is highly recommended to have a plan that allows for unlimited cellular data because WiFi is not as widely available in France as in the US.    

Use WiFi whenever possible.  WiFi is not available at the Clinique Veterinaire Bozon and not readily available at most retail establishments.  It is also important to find a hotel or Airbnb that has unlimited WiFi available in the event that you need to get in touch with the clinic or vice versa.

Communication with the Clinique Veterinaire Bozon and other support group members can be easily done with either iMessage (for iPhone) or WhatsApp (available for all smartphone platforms).  Because these modes of communication are data-driven, they are not considered "phone calls" which use international "minutes."  Dr. Sabine Bozon routinely communicates with her patients via both of these methods.

Helpful Tips:

>> It is highly recommended that you write down the phone number for the Clinique Veterinaire Bozon to keep with you in the event that you cannot access the internet and need to get in touch with the clinic. Their 24/7 number is +33 1 39 53 17 17.

>> If you do not speak French, there are many applications and websites available to help you translate while you are in France. Google Translate is one of many available online resources to get you started.

Places of Interest in Versailles, France

For additional information, visit our FAQ page.